2014-2015 Student Perception Survey Results
- 99% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that NLCS is the best school they have ever attended.
- 99% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that their advisor really cares about them.
- 97% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that they feel safer at NLCS than other schools I have attended.
- 100% NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that they learn more at NLCS than other schools they have attended.
- 99% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that they get help when they ask for it.
- 100% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that their advisor challenges me to do their best.
- 99% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that the Learning through projects at NLCS prepares them for the “real world”.
- 97% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that they feel successful at NLCS.
- 99% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that they are allowed to be my own person at NLCS.
- 97% of NLCS students Strongly agree/Agree that they have a better understanding about the environment since enrolling at NLCS.
Why we attend NLCS
When asked why they attend Northern Lights, students created this list:
access to computers
small school environment
projects are used for learning not tests
personalized learning plan
you can be yourself
NLCS feels like home family oriented
Post secondary educational opportunities
job shadow in the community
February 2011 – Murder Mystery on the Petulant Express.
“Congratulations to all concerned, Karen. What a project-and-a-half that was! You had it working on all levels:
theatrical, culinary, administrative. It was a wonder to behold.
Kathy and I (and John and Denise and everyone else at our table) had a terrific time, start to finish. Thanks for a great evening!”
Northern Community Radio
Random comments from a student survey
“In a traditional school, I mostly memorized info whereas at NLCS I remember what I learn.”
“I love school. I’m sorry summer is here!”
“The school makes everything possble.”
“Now I can tell you I love this school and I learned a lot.”
“To have a new start and see if my learning has improved.”
“It’s an awesome school. I don’t ever want to leave.”
“I love this school and would not want to change it at all.”
“I like this school and I don’t want to ever leave.”
“NLCS is awesome! Go, NLCS!
Dr. Phil Anderson
“This school will be a tremendous asset to this community.”
Katie, Grade 8
“Attending NLCS has changed my life a lot… the teachers and advisors understand that kids learn and do schoolwork at different paces. I am almost positive that NLCS could change a person’s mind about how fun and interesting school can be.”
Austin, Grade 7
“I would encourage a friend to come to this school because it is different than any school I have attended. There are three things I really like about this school: physical recreation time, taking trips and the learning environment.”
Nate, Grade 9
“I am excited to be one of the students involved in the first year at Northern Lights because it has changed my life. Classes are smaller and advisors are very supportive. I am not being compared to my brother and sister who succeeded in their own ways.”
Steve Downing – Development Director Reif Arts Council
“Just want you to know, Dave, that last evening (Graduation) was the most inspiring, most affirming event I’ve been to in many moons. Words fail. My grin muscles are fatigued this morning. And when I wasn’t smiling during the ceremony, I was near tears. Start to finish, the whole gig was just simply top-notch.”